Monday, May 5, 2014

Cocktail Invention: The Flotilla

Although I'm obviously a fan of all sorts of wild and crazy cocktails, my wife Alexis prefers to keep things simple, especially when it comes to at-home drinking; she usually opts for a gimlet or a greyhound, if she's not just sticking with wine. So I was pretty stoked the other night when she asked me to create something new for her. The stipulations were thus: She wanted a drink with spiced rum (to go with the warmer-than-usual-for-April weather), lime juice, and something floral.

Right away I knew the trickiest part of this process would be to avoid making the drink overly sweet, like something a freshman would drink at a sorority party. I'd considered just making a St. Rita (tequila, St. Germain, lime juice) with the rum in place of the tequila, but the combined sweetness of the St. Germain and the rum would surely push the sugar meter too high. So I decided to cut the rum half-and-half with vodka, which would keep the booze quotient up but not impart any unwanted flavors. Alexis was happy with the results and I was excited to add something new to the cocktail pantheon.

I called it a Flotilla because the rum and lime juice both have obvious nautical connotations, and also I just like the word.



FLOTILLA

Recipe by Nick

1 ounce vodka

1 ounce spiced rum

0.5 ounce lime juice

0.5 ounce St. Germain

Combine all ingredients and shake with plenty of ice. Strain into a rocks glass with fresh ice, and garnish with a lime wheel.

Some notes while I sip this:

- A lot of spiced rums are pretty awful and full of artificial flavors to mask the poor quality of the actual rum. Those are probably fine if you're going to mix them with Coke or whatever, but if you want one good enough to sip on its own, I highly recommend Chairman's Reserve (which is what I used in this drink). It's what they pour at Red Medicine, so I think my opinion is well supported on this.

- Do you know about these ice cube trays? They're pretty great (and cheap) and you should get them if you want perfect ice cubes in your drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment